With over 31 million users worldwide Microsoft Office 365 is unsurprisingly a bestseller among the productivity software subscription suits on the market. Its compatibility with the major operating systems (both mobile and desktop), the choice of available apps and the familiarity of the brand make Office 365 an obvious choice for a lot of businesses worldwide, from small companies to huge enterprises.
These very reasons and the popularity among businesses make it rather a big target for all kinds of greedy criminals. Being an online platform, with tons of sensitive corporate data stored in the cloud, Office 365 is a low hanging fruit for those hackers. Microsoft understands the vulnerability and supports Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
The only bulletproof way of fully protecting your info on a cloud server is Office 365 2 factor authentication with a hardware token. In this article, we will give you the detailed instructions on setting up protection with hardware multi-factor authentication token for Office 365 without a premium license. We are also going to address the questions one might have on our own Protectimus Slim NFC token.
Office 365 MFA hardware token – Protectimus Slim NFC
Azure AD offers a few standard ways to sign in using 2-factor authentication. You are offered a mobile app to generate random passwords, the system can send you a text with an OTP, or you can choose a phone-call to authorize the sign in. And finally, the most bulletproof way – you can have OTP generated by Microsoft Office 365 MFA hardware token. Now, Microsoft itself does not provide a hardware device, but third-party tools are supported.
| Read also: Hardware Tokens for Azure MFA
A programmable hardware token is essentially a more protected and trustworthy substitution for a mobile app. Protectimus Slim NFC token is one of the most popular security tokens that work with Office 365. The tool has no Internet connection, so there is absolutely no way your passwords could be intercepted. Protectimus Slim is reprogrammable, this means one device can be reassigned to a different resource over and over again. The programming goes via NFC (Near-field communication) which provides even greater defence. The design and dimensions of this Microsoft Office 365 MFA hardware token are also a factor in its popularity.
To protect your data with our OATH hardware token for Office 365 MFA you need to own an Office 365 subscription with 2-factor authentication on and an NFC Android phone. A premium Azure license is not required.
How to add hardware token to Office 365 MFA
Setting up hardware 2-factor authentication token Office 365 is easy and straightforward enough, the steps below summarise the process very precisely.
1. Download Protectimus TOTP Burner application on an NFC-enabled Android phone.
2. Browse to this registration page and sign in with your Microsoft corporate login.
3. Click “Use Verification code from app” in the drop-down menu, then check the “Authenticator app” box, press “Configure”.
4. The pop-up window you have on your screen now has a QR code meant for installing the default Microsoft authentication app, that application is able to send notifications to your phone. Since our hardware token cannot do that, you need to check the “Configure app without notifications” suggestion instead. You should get a new QR code after this.
5. Launch the Protectimus TOTP Burner app and click “Burn the seed” button.
6. Now you need to scan the code from step number 4, simply tap on “Burn the seed” in the app.
7. Once the QR is successfully scanned, it’s time to turn on your token. Hold the tool within the range of your phone’s NFC antenna and click “Continue” to proceed.
8. Once the secret key is successfully burned on your hardware token for Office 365 all there’s left to do is verify the device and complete the registration. Go back to the setup page on your desktop, click “Next” and then “Verify now” buttons. Enter the OTP code your Office 365 multi-factor authentication token has generated and click “Verify”. That’s it, now you can enter your Office account the most protected way possible.
Protectimus Slim NFC is truly an impenetrable protection for your data. The mechanism is contactless, the one-time keys are generated by the device itself, there’s no need for a network connection of any kind and the built-in battery allows for years and years of work. These things make it in essence impossible to overtake the passwords, implant the token with any kind of malware code and, as a result, compromise your security, or steal the sensitive information you keep in your Office 365 apps. Besides, if you happen to lose the hardware token you are far more likely to notice its absence before any harm is done, as opposed to an infected app, which can do all kinds of damage without you noticing it before it’s too late.
Absolutely. You can have a branded token even if you order only one device.
Protectimus Slim NFC supports only one secret key (seed), so if you have multiple accounts for which you need MFA you will need different tokens. But Protectimus Slim NFC is a programmable token, thus if you stop using an account you can reprogram the token to be used with another account that needs extra protection.