Tokens related questions
- What is a token?
- A token is a device or software used to generate one-time passwords.
- What happens if a potential intruder steals my token?
- To prevent negative consequences of a token being stolen, there is a PIN code that eliminates the possibility of a potential intruder using a stolen token. A PIN code is a set of 4 digits entered by the user when a token is issued. Besides, unlike a regular static password, theft of a token is always easy to discover, which means that a user can quickly lock and re-issue a token to prevent a potential intruder’s malicious and/or unauthorized actions.
- What tokens do you support?
- We support tokens that operate based on the standard OATH algorithms: by time, by event, and by server response.Both software and hardware tokens can be used.
We offer a wide variety of Protectimus tokens optimized for use in our system. In addition, you can use other standard tokens, for example: SafeNet, Yubico, and Google Authenticator.
- Can I order tokens with my own logo on them?
- Yes, you can. Please contact our support service.
- What do the stars on ‘create token’ buttons mean?
- The number of stars shows a token’s integrity level. The more golden stars, the higher a token’s level of reliability. The integrity level depends on how the secret key is stored, what algorithm is used, and how difficult it is for a potential intruder to access a generated password.
- How can I protect myself if my token was stolen?
- To prevent a token from getting stolen, there is a PIN code that makes it impossible for a potential intruder to use a stolen token. So, use your PIN code.
Besides, unlike a regular static password, theft of a token is always easy to discover, which means that a user can quickly lock his/her account to prevent a potential intruder’s malicious and/or unauthorized actions.
- Can the OTP value be intercepted from my token?
- A token does not need to be connected to a server to generate a password; therefore, it is impossible to intercept a password while it is being transferred.
- Is the Internet connection a requirement for a token to generate a password?
- A token is a stand-alone device that independently generates a one-time password. No access to any network(s) is required.